Application deadline: 18 April 2021
Duty station: Istanbul (TUR)
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
UN Volunteers Turkey, is seeking junior data science officer.
Description of task
UNDP IICPSD’s initiative SDG AI Lab aims to harness the potential of frontier digital technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and GIS for sustainable development. The Junior Data Science Officer will support SDG AI Lab’s work in development and implementation of digital solutions using Data Science, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
Under the direct supervision of UNDP IICPSD Technical Specialist, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist the ongoing research efforts on application of big data and machine learning approaches to development issues.
- Support the team in developing and implementing digital solutions to tackle issues in the field of economic and international development.
- Contribute to data acquisition, preparation, analysis, and visualizations efforts.
- Assist the organization of large datasets to get actionable insights from them.
- Continuously support the data maintenance and data acquisition activities of the SDG AI Lab.
- Support research work to unravel promising fields in development for the application of AI.
- Provide as needed support to the Technical Specialist as required for, amongst others, participating in meetings, conferences, providing administrative and communications support, drafting meeting minutes and perform other functions and duties.
Bachelor degree in computer science, statistics, econometrics, mathematics, economics or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in statistics, data science, data visualization, machine learning, natural language processing
- Demonstrated interest in exploring and applying innovative, outside the box thinking approaches with utilizing digital transformation, innovation, volunteerism, private sector engagement, entrepreneurship, and/or South-South Cooperation
- Proficiency in programming languages, preferably Python, or R, SQL, Java
- Hands-on experience on developing dashboard using Power BI, Tableau andD3.js would be an asset
- Experience with common data science toolkits would be an asset.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Turkish(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Click here for detailed information and application.