Application deadline: 18 April 2021
Duty station: Istanbul
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
UN Volunteers Turkey is seeking junior data science officer focused machine learning and natural language processing.
Description of task:
UNDP IICPSD’s initiative SDG AI Lab aims to harness the potential of frontier digital technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and GIS for sustainable development. The Junior Data Science Officer will support SDG AI Lab’s work in development and implementation of digital solutions using Data Science, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing.
Under the direct supervision of UNDP IICPSD Technical Specialist, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist the ongoing research efforts on application of Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) approaches to development issues.
- Support the team in developing and implementing ML and NLP solutions to tackle issues in the field of economic and international development.
- Assist the extension of Machine Learning (ML) frameworks and libraries for NLP projects.
- Contribute to training and evaluating of NLP models.
- Continuously support the data maintenance and data acquisition activities of the SDG AI Lab.
- Support research work to unravel promising fields in development for the application of AI.
- Provide as needed support to the Technical Specialist as required for, amongst others, participating in meetings, conferences, providing administrative and communications support, drafting meeting minutes and perform other functions and duties.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, statistics, econometrics, mathematics, economics or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in machine learning, natural language processing, statistics, data science,
- Demonstrated interest in exploring and applying innovative, outside the box thinking approaches with utilizing digital transformation, innovation, volunteerism, private sector engagement, entrepreneurship, and/or South-South Cooperation
- Proficiency in programming languages, preferably Python, or R, SQL, Java
- Experience with open-source software library such as TensorFlow, Scikit-Learn, Pandas, and NLTK would be an asset.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.
Click here for detailed information and application.