Application deadline: 07 September 2021
Duration: Until 31 December 2021 with possiblity of extension
Location: Ankara (TUR)
UN Volunteers is seeking protection assistant.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of a Senior Protection Associate and overall guidance of an Assistant Protection Officer and general oversight of Senior Protection Officer, the UNV Protection Assistant will undertake the following tasks:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Support the Unit in its activities aiming to reinforce the national asylum procedures by conducting status determination interviews and drafting decision recommendations in line with the cooperation framework agreed by UNHCR and DGMM, if and when necessary.
- Support the unit in sharing with DGMM the summary RSD assessments of the cases adjudicated by UNHCR Turkey under Mandate RSD as well as other summary documents, advisory opinions as required, to support the national decision-making procedures.
- Conduct research (on country of origin and legal issues), manage and improve the country of origin materials database, report on general trends in the relevant countries of origin and replying to queries on specific legal and protection issues, while referring to the supervisor or seeking for advice on more complex issues.
- Assist the Unit in capacity-development initiatives organised internally and at those events targeting partners.
- Consult information on ProGres and Turancore database on individual cases as required.
- Observe and respect relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Filing in-coming/out-going correspondence.
- To support the Office’s priorities and objectives in the protection field.
- Support the Unit in its activities in the areas falling under the cooperation with DGMM
- Support the Unit in preparation and delivery of trainings sessions on specific matters delivered to DGMM / PDMM staff and other institutions.
- Participate in trainings, workshops and meetings and support the unit in note taking and reporting.
- Translate materials and proofread the translated materials, if and when necessary.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Bachelor’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, regional studies or other relevant fields is desirable
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience is an asset;
- Professional work experience at the national and/or international level, working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset;
- Demonstrated familiarity with and knowledge of the basics of refugee law and international human rights law is desirable;
- Legal Knowledge and the ability to apply legal principles is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working with vulnerable groups and gender issues: women, children, and marginalized groups is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in working with trauma victims would be an asset.
- Languages: Excellent written and spoken English; Excellent written and spoken Turkish.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in refugee protection, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Turkish(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Click here for more information.