Start Date: 1st of November 2021
The Clean Energy Foundation (TEMEV) is seeking for an editor for its digital news portal temizenerji.org to produce news content, edit and publish as well as to improve the content of the portal.
About the Role
S/he will ensure the news are published timely, efficiently and disseminated through social media or other channels. The editor will determine her / his own news sources both national and international, will practice the selection of topics and execute the whole process from translation to publishing. S/he will also execute the process for exclusive analysis and researches. The editor will report to TEMEV’s administration and work coordinated with an outsourced translator when necessary and a social media professional.
This is an exciting opportunity for a person with a sincere interest in energy and climate issues and the ambition to make a difference, playing an active role in speeding up the low carbon transition and helping to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
Reporting to the TEMEV’s administration, the editor will be responsible for:
- Determining, developing, regularly following up and updating news sources in order to feed the portal’s newsfeed.
- Staying on top of the political and media debates regarding clean energy in Turkey and globally to identify opportunities to create content.
- Producing news content from both national and international sources by executing the translation process, writing and finalizing with editing as well.
- Ensuring the contents are published on the website properly in a timely manner.
- Executing the social media promotion of the news contents and ensuring the news content is delivered to the social media professional in a timely manner and is effectively published. Providing extra information and support when needed.
- By feeling the pulse of the sector, selecting the topics for exclusive analysis and researches to discuss with the line manager as well as executing all the process to conduct a research.
- Ensuring the news contents are of the highest quality and standard, via in-house content development as well as out-sourced analysis or researches.
- Developing and delivering a regular newsletter incorporated out of the top-read news on the website for followers and people who subscribed to newsletter via website.
- Maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in Turkey and working proactively with media contacts for information exchange on priority issues.
Experience and competencies
- Strong interest in addressing renewable energy and climate change.
- 3-5 years of professional communications / editing experience with proven track record of successful media works.
- A good understanding of communication issues related to energy and climate.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with proven ability to translate complex concepts into succinct, clear, accessible language for multiple audiences.
- Experience in a relevant organisation preferred, e.g. Printed/digital media, communications department of a company, NGO, foundation or think tank.
- Strong project management skills: attention to detail, ability to set priorities and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Enthusiastic team player with the ability to work and interact across external partners located across different locations.
- Outcome-oriented, focusing efforts on achieving efficient, timely, quality results.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and wordpress based web site management; knowledge of other tools (e.g. graphic design, desktop publishing, and multimedia editing and production tools) preferred.
- Advanced level (spoken and written) of the English language.
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. journalism, communications, political and social sciences preferred.
What TEMEV offers
- The opportunity to work independently and set up a self-coordinated system and also be a part of a dynamic group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
- A flexible work environment.
- A full-time position with an 11 month contract (with possibility to be extended).
Click here for more information.