International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks dynamic, experienced and reliable professional for the position of Program Manager.
An INGO that works to support democratic institutions and processes is re-establishing an office in Turkey, and seeks to hire a full-time experienced program manager.
The Program Manager will be responsible for design, planning, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects. Detailed responsibilities will include: follow political developments and analyze needs to inform programming;
oversee and facilitate subgrants to local Turkish civic organizations; help to facilitate and maintain good relationships with local and internationaldemocratic development organizations, civic organizations, and Turkish government; draft and submit activity reports; administrative and finance duties to support programs; among other responsibilities.
A successful candidate will have several years’ relevant and a university degree, including prior experience implementing international development programs or with civil society organizations, political parties, or local government; knowledge of Turkish civic organizations throughout Turkey; political knowledge and analysis skills; strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills; and a willingness to travel within Turkey. They will also have a willingness to work independently and take initiative, excellent time management and computer skills, demonstrated attention to detail, fluency in both Turkish and English, and outstanding references.
Please see the Job Description for more detail on the responsibilities and qualifications.
To apply, send your resume, cover letter, and references in English to Janet Sawaya at email@example.com with Program Manager in the subject line.
TITLE: Program Manager
DATE: November 2019
PROGRAM: Civic Engagement
JOB DESCRIPTION NDI-Turkey
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
SUMMARY: Supports resident director in day-to-day activities and in the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects, in collaboration with NDI- Headquarters staff, by performing the duties listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in design, implementation and evaluation of NDI programming in Turkey
- Contribute to developing strategies to ensure the achievement of program objectives
- Follow political developments and analyze needs to inform programming
- Assess needs for greater civic participation, seek out and cultivate partnerships, and identify beneficiaries from within civil society
- Coordinate with implementing partners and stakeholders; develop strong relationships with partners and stakeholders; hold regular meetings to keep up-to-date on partner and stakeholder activities and developments; work closely on planning and implementing joint events
- Organize and contribute to trainings, meetings, workshops, events, and delegations and/or consultant trips; anticipate program administrative needs and, in close consultation with program and finance staff, takes appropriate actions
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating the program, particularly subgrantees
- Maintain good relationships with local and international democratic development organizations, civic organizations
- Under supervision of the Resident Director, oversee and facilitate NDI subgrants to local Turkish civic organizations, as needed; assist in the formatting and revision of project proposals from civic organizations applying to NDI funding; cross check figures for accuracy; work with NDI local partners to ensure that all narrative and financial reports are submitted according to schedule
- Draft and submit activity reports; prepare updates for weekly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports
- Attend meetings and keeps up to date on the latest information about the program team, program activities and program partners.
- Provide administrative support for the development of new programs and work plans
- Arrange logistics for meetings with partner organizations
- Ensure that logistical issues are sorted out for workshops (booking the venue, budget preparation, equipment and stationery to be used)
- Organize logistics for business trips
- Prepare agenda and participants lists for program events
- Provide interpretation during meetings
- Provide written translation of documents
- Monitor use of program expenditures and identifies areas for cost saving
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements for allowable and unallowable expenditures
- Under supervision, creates initial drafts of budgets
- In coordination with finance staff, ensure that correct financial and administrative procedures are followed by NDI small grantees and sub-grantees
- Screen financial reports of small grantees
- Maintain correspondence with NDI-DC Sub-Grant Department on all important
financial issues related to small grants and sub-grants
Undertake other duties as assigned by the supervisor
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Prior experience implementing international development programs or with civil society organizations, political parties, or local government
- Strong knowledge of Turkish civic organizations throughout Turkey
- Strong political knowledge and analysis skills
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, Turkey and foreign government personnel, civic and political actors, and the general public
- High level of oral and written communication skills to effectively create clear and concise written document, present information, respond to questions and prepare reports in a professional manner
- Fluent in both Turkish and English
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability and willingness to take initiative
- Exceptional ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information
- Extensive knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Working knowledge with Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Drive
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations in Turkey