International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks to hire a full-time program assistant.
The Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting senior program staff in the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects.
Detailed responsibilities will include: follow political, civil society, and governance developments and analyze needs to inform programming; coordination and logistics with implementing partners and stakeholders; provide assistance on administrative and financials tasks; provide logistics and assist with organization for trainings, meetings, workshops, events, and delegations and/or consultant trips; help to facilitate and maintain good relationships with local and international democratic development organizations, civic organizations, and Turkish government; and administrative and finance duties to support programs; among other responsibilities.
A successful candidate will have relevant and a university degree, including prior experience implementing international development programs or with civil society organizations,political parties, or local government; strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills. They will also have a willingness to work independently and take initiative, excellent time management, organizational, and computer skills, demonstrated attention to detail, ability to prioritize work, fluency in both Turkish and English, and outstanding references.
Please see the Job Description for more detail on the responsibilities and qualifications.
To apply, send your resume, cover letter, and references in English to email@example.com with Program Assistant in the subject line by 2 January 2020.
TITLE: Program Assistant
CLOSING DATE: 2 January 2020
PROGRAM: Civic Engagement
JOB DESCRIPTION NDI-Turkey
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform essential functions.
SUMMARY: Supports program staff in day-to-day activities and in the planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of civic engagement projects, in collaboration with NDI-Headquarters staff, by performing the duties listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitor and report regularly on political, governance, and civil society developments Conduct research on political and civil society issues to input on program development
- Track programmatic workflow and progress, including creating and updating program and administrative workplans
- Maintain regular correspondence and strong relations with partner organizations
- Observe program events implemented by partners and grantees and prepare memoranda on the events.
- Communicate regularly with partners and grantees to ensure smooth implementation of programs
- Facilitate preparation of materials for external events
- Facilitate process for and assist with the preparation of updates for weekly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports, including drafting sections of key documents, reports, and presentations for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Attend meetings and keeps up to date on the latest information about the program team, program activities, and program partners
- Assist in the formatting and revision of project plans and proposals from partners and grantees
- Work with partners and grantees to ensure that all narrative and financial reports are submitted according to schedule
- Screen narrative reports from partners and grantees
- Contribute to planning of future programs and evaluation of current programs
- Draft success stories
- Provide support for the development of new programs and work plans
- Facilitate logistics for meetings, workshops, and other convenings (booking the venue, budget preparation, equipment and stationery to be used)
- Maintain database of partners
- Organize logistics for business trips
- Assist with preparation of wire requests
- Prepare agenda and participants lists for program events
- Update Gmail calendar on a regular basis
- Provide 1:1 interpretation during meetings and events
- Translate written documents
- Monitor use of activity expenditures and identify areas for cost saving
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements for allowable and unallowable expenditures
- Ensure that correct financial and administrative procedures are followed by partners and grantees
- Screen financial reports of partners and grantees
- Maintain correspondence with NDI-DC Sub-Grant Department on all important financial issues related to grants
- Follow up with finance the disbursement of funds requested
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the supervisor
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- University degree in political or social studies, international relations, law or related field
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, Turkey and foreign government personnel, civic and political actors, and the general public
- Turkish citizenship
- Fluent in both Turkish and English
- Good at managing processes to get things done
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Ability and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Working knowledge with Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Drive
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations in Turkey
- Previous work experience with an international organization or a domestic civic organization will be an added advantage.