Application deadline: 6 September 2021
Greenpeace Akdeniz is seeking Programme Director.
Purpose of the Job
Greenpeace Mediterranean is one of the leading environmental & social actors in the region with a proven history of change making. Greenpeace Mediterranean is now on the edge of a new era to increase its impact and reform itself to be more active, effective and efficient through people power and building a more wholesome, ambitious climate movement.
The Programme Director will be a vital part of the new strategy building and shaping the future of people powered GP MED and therefore the movement for climate emergency in the region and beyond. Programme Director (PD) will contribute to the preparation of 3 Year Strategic Plan (3YSP), develop and manage Turkey’s programme that inline with 3YSP and the Greenpeace global Framework, goals and strategies.
The PD leads and coordinates the program team, chairs the Program Council and is a member of the Senior Management Team directly reporting to the Executive Director.
She/he is an active member of the global program directors’ community; participates in shaping and leading the global Greenpeace program. She/he supports Israel’s programme, ensures both offices working collaboratively, sharing experience and resources.
- Strategy Building: Contribute to the 3 year strategy building process as a leader with a high level of understanding of social, political and economical situations in the region and Turkey. Be part of the team to work towards a Theory of Change of the office and to develop strategic and programmatic goals. Lead the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning process and establishment of the related systems. Contribute to the annual organizational development plans.
- Leadership and strategic direction: Provide vision, leadership, and accountability for the GP Turkey program under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. Inspire and encourage team members to be strategic and innovative, determine priorities, assign responsibilities, supervise and support staff. Develop, set and coordinate the program objectives, strategies, and activities across all functions and units in the program department. Closely monitor the political, social, economical context and if needed adopt the strategy, plans or projects accordingly. Ensure data informed approach is in place. Analyze trends and ensure program themes, strategies and tactics are fit for purpose. Lead the research processes in a centralised approach to have more efficient project reports.
- Program department management: Directly supervise, support and coordinate the program team in Turkey, through them, efficiently manage all program related staff. Ensure high performance of the teams through staff development, training and performance reviews. Establish structures and recruit staff according to Human Resources policies. Contribute to the legal structuring of the organization to ensure the highest impact is created.
- Programme and project management: Working closely with the Executive Director and global organization, manage preparation of the programme plans that inline with the 3YSP and global priorities. Support and guide project preparation that fits and supports programme objectives. Lead the programme council in selection, approval and evaluation of projects. Establish project teams and set schedules and allocation of resources for projects within given budgets. Ensure the evaluation of projects and major activities, maintain related documentation, and ensure ongoing learning. Facilitate pitching of GP Turkey campaigns and projects to the global organization, as well as enabling funds and other support. Lead the communication with fund provider organizations and preparation and application for funds and grants considering GP global and office priorities and capacity.
- Communication Management: Management of planning and development of organizational communication strategy, organizational identity. Supervise the communication work of the office is inline with global and office policies, values and goals both proactively and reactively.
- Mobilization and engagement: Actively lead the transformation of the organization towards a more people powered organization. Work together with the Engagement department to create and implement a shared vision, strategy and plans for larger offline and online mobilization and engagement. Make sure that sufficient capacities are created for this ambitious task, and that related objective is strongly present in all campaigns and projects. Actively seek to have connections with other social movements, activists and actors to link them to the climate movement.
- Global program leadership: As a member of the global programme community, work actively and constructively with the international program teams and with Programme and Campaign Directors from other GP offices to contribute global strategies, cluster projects and other initiatives. Initiate cross-country collaboration, with best practice sharing and support.
- Budget management: Create, manage and monitor the annual departmental budget by reviewing monthly financial reports prepared by the finance department. Ensure that authorized staff properly manages all projects’ budgets, and that all expenditures are in line with financial procedures and requirements. Play an active role in securing additional funding for the Office, particularly from the global organization and from foundations.
- Risk and legal counseling: Ensure that a diligent analysis of risks related to campaigns and projects is performed, that sound judgments are made when decisions are taken, and that proper sign-off procedures are in place and followed. Supervise the legal work proactively and reactively of the Program department and be a link with the GPI legal team.
- Internal and external representation: Actively and professionally represent GP Turkey, it’s program, interests and needs internally through relevant for and by networking in the global organization, as well as externally by reaching out and managing contacts with stakeholders and partners.
- More than 5 years experience in NGO environment, preferably on programme, campaigns, mobilization and management with a track record of achievements at high standard.
- Previous experience in planning, developing and implementing strategies that advance organizational goals.
- Experience of community mobilization, ally and coalition building, pro or volunteer work in social movements are preferred.
- High commitment to Greenpeace core values, environmental and social peace, justice issues including activism and strong sense of duty of care.
- Responsiveness and resilience to fast external changes and challenges.
- High level of understanding on social, political and economical environment.
- At least sound knowledge of community dynamics and social change .
- Good understanding of budget planning, monitoring and procurement practices.
- Strong time management, organizational, interpersonal, communication and administrative skills.
- Familiarity with community mobilization and nonviolent direct action strategies.
- Strong effective, appropriate and transparent communication.
- Good coaching, management and leadership skills.
- Creative, critical conceptual thinking and good level of sense of humor.
- Fluency in both written and oral Turkish and English.
- At least sound knowledge of finance and procureme.
Click here for more information.