Closing date for applications: Wednesday 13 March 2020 at midnight
First round of Interviews in Turkey, preferably between 18 & 20 March
Second round of interviews between 23 March & 27 March (online)
Expected start date: as soon as possible thereafter
Climate Action Network (CAN) Europe, recognised as Europe’s leading network working on climate and energy issues, is currently seeking a highly motivated, dynamic and results-driven Climate & Policy Coordinator for Turkey to join our team, while working out of Istanbul.
The successful candidate will together with the CAN Europe policy team support NGO efforts in Turkey to advocate for a just transition away from fossil fuels. This will include preventing the construction of new coal power plants, and advocacy for the introduction of more ambitious climate & sustainable energy policies. The goal is to support these NGO efforts through coordinating local NGOs, linking up the work in Turkey with the work of other NGOs in Europe and liaising with policy processes and dynamics in the EU that can be of use for the discussions in Turkey, including the accession process and trade agenda.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience;
- Knowledge of climate and energy issues;
- Experience of working with NGOs, preferably in a network environment;
- Experience in advocacy work;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills, time management, flexibility, and reliability;
- Ability to produce results autonomously, according to schedule and respecting deadlines;
- Fluent written and spoken English; excellent communication skills;
- Ability to travel a few times per year to Brussels and other European locations;
- Experience in line management.
- Experience of working in Turkey;
- Experience in fundraising and reporting;
- Experience in writing research papers, reports;
- Ability to strategically assess data for policy and campaign usage.
Day-to-Day duties will include:
- Undertake and support advocacy and outreach activities on specific climate and energy issues relevant to NGO efforts in Turkey;
- Gather intelligence and follow Turkish policy development;
- Contribute to preparation of briefings and papers for media and policy makers in Turkey;
- Develop advocacy opportunities and a long term strategy together with NGOs from Turkey;
- Represent the network and do advocacy and lobby work;
- Contribute to fundraising efforts related to relevant policy dossiers.
This position is based in Turkey, either home based or in the offices of one of CAN Europe members in Turkey. The selected candidate will be self-employed and the remuneration will be based on CAN Europe salary policy and candidate’s experience.
To apply, please send a letter of motivation in English and CV in English with subject line Policy Coordinator for Turkey, to email@example.com
The letter of motivation should clearly demonstrate why you want the job, stating why you wish to work for a climate NGO and how your skills and experience are relevant to the job requirements detailed above.