Application Deadline: 18th of April 2022
Amnesty International Turkey is looking for a Director responsible for delivering the human rights goals of Amnesty International in Turkey.
- Leads the section and inspires the members, the Board, activists, supporters, staff, other rights organizations and the rights defender stakeholders and encourages the stakeholders to carry out an active struggle for human rights. To this aim, the director develops and gives support to an organizational vision and developing and implementing strategy in line with the goals of the international movement. S/he puts the developed vision into practice and leads the process in which it is applied.
- In light of AI’s human rights strategies on the national and international level, the director sustains AI’s legal and political existence. S/he leads the development of policies protecting and reinforcing AI’s position within the area of human rights.
- To ensure that AI Turkey’s organizational plans are implemented on time and in full compliance with the relevant internal policy documents and working regulations, the director improves the performance of the staff, creates systems of performance evaluation, builds a healthy, systematic and sustainable working scheme and establishes a management mechanism. To this end, the director is responsible for the recruitment of the staff.
- Produces reports on the national and international level and examines the available ones.
- Identifies the resources that AI Turkey needs and works in cooperation with the IS to meet these needs. Aims and achieves financial expansion. Creates specific projects to achieve this expansion, such as donation-oriented or face-to-face projects.
- In compliance with the agreed budget and financial rules, the director ensures the supervision of the accounts and monitoring of the contractual liabilities. Identifies the financial and logistic needs of the office and works to meet these needs in collaboration with the IS.
- Creates and uses quality control systems to ensure that the activities of AI Turkey are carried out in a timely, consistent, accurate, well-balanced, independent and impartial manner. Together with the international movement, the director identifies the ideal implementation models and gets these models shared and reported on in the assigned positions.
- Maintains regular and effective relationships with AI Turkey Board and effectively fulfills the assigned responsibilities. Effectively uses the channels of communication, provides advice to the Board when necessary, gives recommendations. The director is expected to be involved in building cooperation in the field of management (e.g. we currently expect the director to be involved in building a more functional cooperation with AI Denmark). S/he sustains a relationship with the Board in accordance with the Core Standards for the roles, participates in the meetings, suggests agendas and reports at mutually agreed time periods on the governance activities.
- Ensures that the section is related to the international movement at all levels. The director plays an active role in sustainable cooperation building in the movement in the field of management and coordinates it with the Board’s involvement in the field of governance. For a global strategy to be successful at the local level, the director creates tools to get the volunteers and members connected to the global policies. The director ensures the advancement and sustainability of a far-reaching and effective organizational culture such that it embraces members, activists and donors who, in turn, interact with each other within this organizational culture.
- The director is responsible for the planning of the personnel, including creating alternative options in cases where an employee suddenly quits the job so that the responsibility of the relevant job is taken care of. S/he leads the recruitment and dismissal processes; conducts the orientation, training and performance evaluation of the personnel; gives feedback and maintains an effective personnel management.
Representation of the AI movement
- As the representative of AI, the director develops, maintains and uses the relationships with the stakeholders, including partner organizations, networks, coalitions, supporters and key internal stakeholders to take advantage of opportunities for cooperation which will increase the impact and influence of AI Turkey.
- As the spokesperson, the director cooperates with the media and uses conventional and up-to-date media tools to support AI’s research and goals and increase their visibility. Identifies measurable and reasonable visibility goals in the media and finds out appropriate methods to achieve these goals.
- To achieve key human rights goals in the national and international realm, the director establishes relations with the government and the parliament and increases the influence of AI Turkey at the regional and global level. To establish relationships with non-governmental organizations, media and the government, the director coordinates advocacy and lobbying work in Turkey, including through cooperating with the other AI sections.
- Decides on and contacts the donors and financially contributing groups. Does the planning for the growth of these groups and their contributions.
- To ensure AI’s public recognition and impact in line with the organization’s mission and strategy, the director represents AI Turkey vis-à-vis NGOs, the media, international institutions and state institutions and organizations.
- To ensure growth and effective work, the Director provides an overview of the political situation and makes use of the strategical opportunities for growth and mobilization.
- Assesses risks and does planning for the mitigation of the risks that s/he found.
- Develops specific working programs to increase the number of members, supporters and activists.
- Develops fundraising strategies in collaboration with the Fundraising Manager.
- Creates tools to get members and supporters to know about AI’s globally developed human rights policies and encourages the usage of these tools.
- Manages in harmony volunteers and section personnel in order to attain the tangible goals at the national and global levels, which are set in the global strategy in consultation with the Board.
Interested candidates, please send the application form and the CV in both English and Turkish to firstname.lastname@example.org with REF: DIR2201in the subject line.
Click here for more information.